compression ridges in New Baldwin grand

Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:58:38 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 26, 2003 2:06 AM
Subject: Re: compression ridges in New Baldwin grand

> Yes.... so if I get 8 seconds all the way up a major 6th higher then your
note for
> 8 seconds.... then tremendous does pretty good. What good does it do for
me to
> mention A6 sustain time if you are going to compare it first to 2 octaves
down,
> and then to a major 6th down ?
>
> Again... 8 seconds at A6 is tremendous.... especially for a 80-100 year
old
> Steinway C... which has by no means been treated all that great through
the years.

Actually, I almost agree. An 8 second sustain at A-6 is certainly
acceptable, if not tremendous. Had I heard anything remotely close to that
on the 7 out of 10 pianos I mention away back toward the beginning of this
debate I'd not have made the comment. About half that was (is) more
typical.

> If the compression theory is correct... to the degree of correctness
claimed..
> then such exceptions simply do not, can not occur.  The theory and the
exception
> are mutually exclusive.

Quite good explanations adequately covering the exceptions have been
presented and written numerous times. Even the exceptions have to obey the
fundamental laws of wood and acoustics. And they do.

Del