compression ridges in New Baldwin grand

Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:36:48 +0200

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >Yeah.. I knew this one was comming... something wrong with our hearing...
>
> No, just that your interpretation of what you hear doesn't allow the
> possibility of soundboard problems.
>
> Ron N

Ok.. I like this statement much better. Tho remember... I havent gotten into
my interpretation of what I hear yet... I am just reflecting on the world at
large out there. And that world just doesnt view the sound of pianos like you
do. Musicality is far larger an arena then the mechanics of the piano can
allow for to begin with. People like what they do, and if thats at odds with
some definition of soundboard problems... then it is.

What you define as a problem.. based on all your knowlede about how the things
function... are meaningless in the face of someone who simply views things
very very differently. You say as much yourself... tho you appear to attach
some lack of awareness or something similiar to those who dont see it your
way. It could just be that they plain enjoy what they hear... and its an over
emphasis on some perspective of acoustic mechanics that is the << problem >>.

In anycase... the fact remains... the description of the compression
soundboard as a built in self exploding time bomb that will loose all its
essence of musicality with in some few seasons.... just will not ring home to
the vast majority of those out there with experience in using these
instruments. Nor does it seem to be absolutely true in its own strict claims
to begin with.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne