Action compliance (was Re: Heavy Hammers)

Thu, 25 Sep 2003 22:32:45 +0200

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> I make my comments about the cross-section of the hammershank only because
> so many seem interested in using relatively massive hammers in an effort to
> gain more power. Until the hammershank flex problem is dealt with this
> won't really do much good beyond messing up the overall feel of the action.
> At least it won't achieve the desired results.
>
> Del

Actually... I am personally moving steadily away from a preference for heavier
hammers. But I am very curious as to why this particular combination of heavy
hammers, high ratio, low key mass, and lots of assist spring help seems to be
so well recieved at our conservatory. And otherwise curious about the various
moments that affect action dynamics, and what role they play in different
configurations.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.