Action compliance (was Re: Heavy Hammers)

Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:21:57 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip Ford" <fordpiano@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 25, 2003 9:42 AM
Subject: Re: Action compliance (was Re: Heavy Hammers)

> Is the erratic hammer motion all from shank flexing?  Or is some of it
> coming from center pin bending or bushing compliance?  I've often
wondered
> how we ended up with such tiny center pins.  Larger pins and bushings
would
> seem to have less compliance.
>
> Phil Ford

I don't know. I expect it's a combination of factors. The bushing on one
side slightly more compliant than the other. The jack not seated quite
square to the knuckle. The knuckle slightly skewed. A bit of twisted wood
grain in the hammershank. The hammer's center of gravity slightly off
center (a common thing with the hammers bored at an angle, I should think).

I expect the list is nearly endless.

I make my comments about the cross-section of the hammershank only because
so many seem interested in using relatively massive hammers in an effort to
gain more power. Until the hammershank flex problem is dealt with this
won't really do much good beyond messing up the overall feel of the action.
At least it won't achieve the desired results.

Del