compression ridges in New Baldwin grand

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:57:00 -0500

>I would suggest that the dealer may be responsible for the climate control
>or lack of it that produced the compression ridges that will likely
>eventually become cracks?

This could well be, but... The damage to both structure and tone produced
by a given set of humidity extremes will be greater in a compression
crowned and supported board than in a rib crowned and supported one.
Baldwin soundboards, though the ribs are crowned to a 72' radius, are
primarily compression supported. So the panels are under high compression
levels in the best of circumstances and there's little built in tolerance
for humidity extremes.

>I have seen dealers that store pianos in a
>semi-trailer in the hot and wet August Florida monsoon season for a week. I
>contend that would constitute a lack of adequate climate control - I would
>go a step further and suggest this is piano abuse.

Sure, but I consider the building of compression supported boards to be
Spruce abuse too. Just wander around dealers' showrooms and check out the
fine collection of compression ridges evident in those nice new soundboards
in pianos of most all sorts. Who you gonna call?

>Hard to prove, of course.

Yes it is. And if you can't point out a BLATANTLY obvious tone problem
(backed by the customer's opinion), that all the King's voicers can't
minimize long enough to get past the warranty period, you have no case.
Remember "But how does it sound?", and "The ear is the final arbiter".
Who's ear? Never mind that you can see that the fuse is lit. It doesn't
count until you can produce the explosion.

Ron N