Rocket Science?

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:47:11 -0600

>Barbara Richmond
>
>PS  I was on staff at a university during heavy construction....you know
>that beep trucks make when they're backing up?  :)

Welcome back, Barbara,

    You know that some of those beepers have a measuring function that
adjusts their volume compared to ambient noise levels? I think that's why
they sometimes seem to get louder, the longer the truck is backing.
    The university I service has a D in the "jock pit" stadium. Bad enough
with lighting crews and fork lifts, etc. Now... they've given up on regular
brooms. Modern technology rears it's ugly head as two gas-powered leaf
blowers shuffle the trash around the seating areas. One blower I might be
able to deal with, from the bottom of the concrete pit. But TWO? They're
not in unison, of course, and the phasing/Doppler/amplitude modulations are
just too much. Even the ETD had troubles. The entertainment value is okay,
though, when you see the looks on their faces when you ask them to shut
down for while. After, of course, they say "WHAT!?!"

Again, welcome back,
Carpe Maņana,
Guy Nichols