compression ridges in New Baldwin grand

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:59:08 -0400

I bought a new Steinway some years ago. The soundboard had a full =
1/4-inch REVERSE crown. From both the dealer and from several Steinway =
"technical" people in New York: "Does it sound OK". Well, I'm not very =
experienced with piano sound evaluation, but it seems OK. "There, you =
see, there is no problem at all". "Every Steinway is unique."

This brings to mind a story that Franz Moor told about a lady that =
bought a new Steinway grand. She was thrilled with her new =
sweet-sounding piano. Shortly afterward her technician told her that =
there was a defect in the plate (don't remember exactly what it was) =
that should not be there and would likely degrade the tone. She demanded =
an exchange. She finally got it. After a while she complained to =
Steinway that the replacement piano did not have the same tone character =
as the flawed one. So she ended up getting a second replacement. After a =
while she was unhappy with that piano - she wanted her original piano =
back - warts and all. Steinway told her that the piano had already been =
sold and was not available. The lady was devastated.

During the time she was trading out pianos, someone in the basement of =
Steinway ran into Franz and told him of a superior piano that had been =
returned. Franz was shown the piano and indeed found it to be =
spectacular. Franz passed that information on to Vladamir Horowitz (sp?) =
who in turn stopped in to give a look-see at the now-infamous piano. He =
was thrilled with it and requested that Steinway sell it to him and he =
put it in his living room.

So, let's see. What is the moral of this story? If you have a 1/4-inch =
reverse crown Steinway soundboard, or a Baldwin with "the most =
pronounced compression ridges I have ever seen in a one-year old grand =
of alleged repute", or any one or more of a number of maladies that =
might afflict a new piano - consider yourself LUCKY - it might actually =
be a one-of-a-kind gem - in fact, it probably is. Remember - "every =
piano is unique". I wonder if they also get birth certificates?

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----=20