compression ridges in New Baldwin grand

Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:24:48 -0400

Greetings -

I serviced a one-year old Baldwin "Artist Grand" - model 225E - today.
They got the two free tunings from the dealer and trhought it time to
tune it again and "have me look it over" (now that they've had it a
year!).  The touch was incredibly light, but that is why they chose it,
so I made little comment.  In fact, the piano was rather nice, all things
considered, except that the soundboard had the most pronounced
compression ridges I have ever seen in a one-year old grand of alleged
repute.  And they occurred at virtually every edge joint.  Very
pronounced to the touch, and highly visible at a casual glance.

My question is this:  In the absence of any tonal problems, no cracks, no
buzzes, no killer octave problems (yet), at what point do you consider
this an issue that should be brought up with the dealer/manufacturer?  I
am quite concerned that this soundboard is in an accelerated
self-destruct mode, and hate to see the customer have to find that out
3-4-5 years down the road, but I can hear the dealer denying any problems
with it as we speak.

Any opinions?

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com