of spline and catenary

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:38:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Terry,
    I've long pondered the feasibility of what I
imagine to be the best sort of arcing for ribs; that
which would provide the apogee directly under the
bridge line.
     How's this: Build a frame the same shape as the
piano case. Lay in plexiglas strips in the rib
position, but extending out the frame sides for
slippage. Then screw trhe bridge to the plexiglas
strips and load, and using a  very long one of those
thingamabobs with all the little metal rods ( used to
copy moldiungs and other complex shapes ) record the
arcing as it is created.
      Now, cut a custom set of cauls, or rinbs,
accordingly.
     Send me royalties.
     Thump