OT Fwd: NYTimes.com Article: New Sun Microsystems Chip May Unseat the Circuit Board

Cy Shuster 741662027@charter.net
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:55:26 -0500

OT's can't be left alone because the purpose of a mailing list is to discuss
information about one topic.

It's the same reason that books are sorted by section in a library: fiction
from non-fiction, etc.  If books are misfiled, the library becomes useless.
What percentage of OT's would make this list useless: 20%? 40%? 80%?  It's
just a matter of degree.

It's time-wasting and troublesome to separate two (or more) dissimilar
things, especially so when there is a perfect remedy: a separate list for
each topic, which can be combined by each user according to his wishes.
This is the convention that allows me, for example, to subscribe to
Pianotech as well as mailing lists for former employees of cc:Mail and for
my church.  Even if all these topics were available in a single list, I
prefer to have them separate so that I can sort them in my inbox, and also
change my mind and unsubscribe to any individual list.

Posts about wildly irrelevant topics, such as integrated circuit design in a
piano list, are in my opinion, noise drowning out signal, in other words,
contaminants.  When they're simply un-commented copies of press releases, it
looks just like spam to me.

It's a mystery to me why you have taken on the mission of getting this IC
design info to the general public, but there are far better channels than
this one: comp.sys.sun.announce, comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips, etc.  And
it does seem that the NY Times has also stepped up to shoulder some of the
load.

I'm glad that there are many different topics that you are interested in,
and it's kind of you to share that info, but please try to segregate it.  I
thought you had already volunteered to start your own list?  I saw many
people asking to subscribe (by posting here, alas, rather than individual
email).

Now, let me give you some vital information about the special purine
limitiations in the diet of Dalmations, while Terry chimes in with the
latest breakthroughs in geology...

--Cy--