Glue cleanup on Ribs

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 01:01:20 +1000

Dale, Terry and all,

For the board we just glued up last week for piano no. 4, we used
Titebond Extend with the vacuum press (the very first sound board to
be assembled in this press). We left it in the press for nearly an
hour before taking it out to clean up.

Since I was somewhat worried about having insufficient glue for a
good joint between the ribs and the panel, I applied the glue a
little thicker with the roller, when compared to the amount applied
to the sound board test strips over the month before. So for most
ribs there was a glue bead which required cleaning up. Fortunately,
the Titebond bead remained quite milky even though the ribs were
quite firmly glued to the panel. We used a sharp chisel to remove the
bulk of the bead, then a 50/50 water metho mix for cleaning away the
remaining glue. The metho mix improved slightly the ability to soften
the glue for its removal with a scraper. Furthermore, the metho
prevented any blue-stain problems from developing during the cleanup.

By the way, regarding the moisture content of the panel prior to
gluing, after some experimentation we decided to take it down to only
7%. With a laminated panel, there is minimal dimensional change with
moisture content variation. For those who are inclined to use the
more predictable and reliable RC type of sound board construction,
the laminated panel would seem to be an excellent choice. It must
surely produce sound boards with superior tuning stability
characteristics, and I can see no tonal disadvantages through using
laminated over solid panels.

There was some discussion earlier this year about the possibility of
fully floating the ribs (ie. having them finish out on the sound
board panel before they reached the inner rim) when using laminated
panels, since the panel would be resistant to splitting (Del wrote a
couple of good posts on the topic). After considering the options, I
decided in this instance to err on the side of caution by running the
ribs fully out over the inner rim. Actually, this choice also
assisted gluing the panel together in the vacuum press, since the
full length ribs (which were feathered after being glued) were able
to support the panel right out to the edges of the panel.

In the case of this piano, the ribs will not be notched into the
inner rim as is usual. Instead, we have glued perimeter hardwood
spacers to the panel in between the ribs to elevate the feathered
ribs to just above the inner rim. This method of sound board
installation was used previously by Welmar/Marshall & Rose in their
grand pianos. The technique is particularly advantageous in instances
where one is joining the inner and outer rims before gluing in the
belly, since it eliminates the necessity of cutting rib notches into
the inner rim prior to fitting the board. Furthermore, it becomes an
easy matter to revise the rib layout should you wish to modify the
sound board design at a later stage.

There are probably a 100 other approaches besides the above, but for
what its worth.

That's a very nice tool in the link below Terry, and an excellent idea indeed.

Best,

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY