String vibrations (was Re: Stuart)

Sun, 21 Sep 2003 19:36:03 +0200

 I dont know Phil, but it seems fairly intuitive that a pulse, or wave... or
however you want to conceptualize it... traveling down a wire and hitting an
end point is going to tend to get deflected by the condition of that endpoint.
If its angled as the bridge pins are, it would seem reasonable to assume that
there will be some degree of force exerted on the vibrating string on that
angle.. How much is another matter altogether... but its rather hard to
disregard the data Wapin has assembled on the subject.

I was under the impression that Wapins bridge was conducive to vibration in the
vertical direction, not horizontal. If Rons statement  is true, then the whole
thing becomes just that more interesting... and as I said a bit back... it
would be nice to see the same kind of frequency data on the Stuart as is
available for the Wapin for comparison

RicB