Steinway Sostenuto

Sun, 21 Sep 2003 09:35:24 -0700

A colleague called me from an appointment asking about a problem he
couldn't solve.  I haven't seen the piano, but my regulation suggestions
did not take care of the problem.

NY Steinway, c 1950.  Hinged sostenuto tabs.  Push down the sostenuto, push
down the sustain pedal, release the sostenuto, release the sustain pedal,
KTHUNK.  Normally this occurs on pianos with tabs that are not flexible,
but not on with flexible tabs.  Regulation of the sostenuto does not seem
to be the problem, though I was not there.  Thoughts?

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net