Glue cleanup on ribs

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 11:04:39 EDT

   Hi Terry
   Keith was there yesterday and his comments on the pins was correct. As to
tapering  I assumne you mean the feathered ends? Yes ,they are tapered. Every
thing is done to the rib except final sanding and finishing before the ribs
are glued on. The feathered pieces are cut off with a band saw ,numbered ,marked
and saved. Then when the ribs are pressed the glue is applied then the saved
pieces are fit to the spot they were cut from so the fire hose has something
to press against.
   The feathered area on the rib is sanded and cleaned up on a stationery
belt sander laid down flat and use of the curved part of the roller as well as
the flat surface is utilized to smooth out the bandsaw marks. The rib is drawn
over this toward you. Finger pressure is applied to the spots needing the most
attention as its drawn toward you over the flat surface. Not very clear but
that's it.
   Even the backs of the rib are radiuesed nicely  on a router with a large
radiusing bit. very uniform and duplicatable. So when the board is pressed
nothing is left to do as far as wood working to the ribs is required . It's done
and I like the part of it.
      Dale Erwin

Hello Dale. I'm looking for a few more details describing your (or anyone's)
center-pin-anti-skid methods. I was planning on trying something like that for
my next board. I imagine the pins penetrate the panel side of the rib maybe 4
to 8 millimeters (just enough to gain solid footing) and penetrate the panel
just a few millimeters (just enough to hold in position) - is that correct? Do
you taper your ribs before gluing to panel - how do you handle running a pin
through the thinner ends of the rib? Do you just use two pins per rib
(obviously on short ribs) or do you maybe use three or more on the longer ribs?

One other thought on glue cleanup - one thing that I was going to try to
implement - which relates to access for cleaning the glue joint squeeze-out.
Adjust the top beam of the pneumatic clamp so that the hose can inflate most of its
diameter (obviously maintaining full contact/pressure on rib). If the hose is
allowed to inflate a goodly amount of its diameter, rather than allowing only
a half-inch of its diameter and blobbing over the sides of the rib, you
should be able to maximize access to the rib/panel joint for cleanup. Or at least I
will be trying that next time.

Thanks.

Terry Farrell
-----