life of a piano tuner, fun or what?

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:52:49 +0200

On zondag, sep 21, 2003, at 12:21 Europe/Amsterdam, Clyde Hollinger
wrote:

> Now I'm curious.  How many pianos did you tune on a yearly basis?  If
> the
> 400 places you mention had only one piano that was tuned annually, that
> already sounds to me like six months' work.
>
> Regards, Clyde

Dear Clyde,

I tuned 7-8 piano's a day, 4 days in a week, plus a few tunings during
weekends. The 5th day was reserved for technical work in the work place
of my employer.
If we take into consideration that of the 52 weeks per year people
here, who have a steady job, usually have 4 weeks vacation plus, say,
two weeks sick leave, then there remain 46 weeks.
As I said, I tuned 4 days a week and I tuned 7-8 piano's a day plus say
at least 2 tunings during a weekend.
46 weeks times an average of 32 tunings makes 1472 tunings on a yearly
basis.
Let us say that in those long and exhausting years I tuned an average
of 1450 tunings per year, that would be pretty accurate.
After I established my own business, I got the Conservatory of
Amsterdam as a customer. That meant making even more tunings because it
was easier : one just switched from room to room and the building was
relatively close by, plus I could work there during evenings and all
night long, if I wanted to...... haha. I also worked for other music
schools and then mainly during weekends.
I worked till I dropped, so to speak.
Of course I can't do that anymore. My body, fortunately, is strong but
my back, muscles and tendons suffered, and I have to be alert on my
posture because I now have a tendency to stoop (54 years old).
I was lucky because I was able to make a switch from tuner to
technician.
I still tune, but maybe one a day on average. The rest of my days are
filled with purely technical work like gluing hammers, regulation and
voicing.

I am -  still  - hoping to end my days in Florida or Hawaii, in a nice
beach chair, with my bare feet on white powdery sand with on the table
next to my chair a cuban espresso, a fresh croissant and a crispy
Herald tribune.

friendly greetings,

André Oorebeek