life of a piano tuner

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 11:14:04 +0200

On zondag, sep 21, 2003, at 10:15 Europe/Amsterdam, Susan Kline wrote:

> At 01:53 AM 9/21/2003 -0400, Bob wrote:
>> I remember a busy tuning day years ago, when the clock chimed twelve.
>> It seemed to take an hour. I was irritated at the customer for not
>> noticing and turning it off. Then came an epiphany (in the sense of
>> "a sudden perception of the essential nature or meaning of something"
>> from the MW dictionary). If I can't stop long enough to let the clock
>> strike, what does that say about the nature of my relationship to my
>> business!! Ever since, every time the clock chimes at a customer's
>> house, I smile at the memory of the revelation, and take a
>> well-deserved couple of deep breaths.
>>
>> Bob Davis
>
> I love it ...
> and you're right.
>
> Susan

I remember exactly the same thing... I became extremely agitated with
all kinds of sounds. At the time (a long time ago) I tuned a zillion
pianos a year and also the pianos in 400 public schools, hospitals and
public buildings.
After 10 years of this (I worked for a piano firm who had a contract
with the city of Amsterdam) I wanted to write a book about my hateful
noisy tuning experiences.
I also had a title for it :
kinderen, kanaries, en koekoeksklokken  (children, canaries, and coo
coo clocks).

I quit that job and I never wrote the book.

(; >))

André Oorebeek