Beat Rate Counter

Mark Davidson mark.davidson@mindspring.com
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:46:51 -0400

Tom,

Yes.  You're right.  Should have worked my way up rather
than down.

Still it's easy to do with ETD by measuring the
frequencies of the partials directly and subtracting.

So beat rate for C-G would be 3rd partial of C vs.
2nd partial of G.  I think the ratios I gave still
apply.

-Mark

----- Original Message -----
From: Thomas Cole
To: Mark Davidson ; Pianotech
Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2003 5:38 PM
Subject: Re: Beat Rate Counter

Mark D.,

If you want to know the actual beat rate of an interval, wouldn't you need to measure the frequencies of the coincident partials
rather than computing from the fundamentals?

Tom Cole

Mark Davidson wrote:

Hi Pianotech List Readers,

Do any of you know of an electronic beat rate counter? I want to be able to
measure the beat rates of intervals. I think the faster intervals, 3rds, 6ths,
12ths, would be countable.

Mark Krag RPT

You can figure out beat rates of fundamentals without too
much trouble using any ETD that shows frequencies.

Frequency ratios of pure intervals are

5th 3:2
3rd 4:3
6th 9:8
12th 3:1

Example (5th):

A 440
E 659.25

Compare 659.25/3 and 440/2 (=219.75 and 220).
Difference, .25, is the beat rate.

-Mark Davidson