Beat Rate Counter

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:47:33 -0300

Hi,
How about Dr. Sanderson's Beat Rater.
www.accu-tuner.com/index1.html
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Thomas Cole
  To: Mark Davidson ; Pianotech
  Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2003 6:38 PM
  Subject: Re: Beat Rate Counter

  Mark D.,

  If you want to know the actual beat rate of an interval, wouldn't you need to measure the frequencies of the coincident partials rather than computing from the fundamentals?

  Tom Cole

  Mark Davidson wrote:

Hi Pianotech List Readers,

Do any of you know of an electronic beat rate counter? I want to be able to
measure the beat rates of intervals. I think the faster intervals, 3rds, 6ths,
12ths, would be countable.

Mark Krag RPT

You can figure out beat rates of fundamentals without too
much trouble using any ETD that shows frequencies.

Frequency ratios of pure intervals are

5th 3:2
3rd 4:3
6th 9:8
12th 3:1

Example (5th):

A 440
E 659.25

Compare 659.25/3 and 440/2 (=219.75 and 220).
Difference, .25, is the beat rate.

-Mark Davidson