Glue cleanup on Ribs

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:20:03 -0400

Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:
>      John
>      Thanks for the feedback. I use to use the go-bar deck and enjoyed
> this feature of access for cleanup.
>     Do you slow the hot hide with any retarder? How do you clean it up?
> Paper toweling putty knife or all of the above?
>      As I said I can reach between the cauls for cleanup and have for a
> long time but with tight rib spacing it's more difficult. I'll try your
> idea of ribbing every other one in those cases.
>    I'm glad to know your opinion about the moisture,absorption time and
> that the effect on the panel swelling is not an just pressed a B board
> yesterday  in about an hour & 1/2 then came back later to skim off the
> glue. I found that way time consumning. Probably 45 min.
>    Regards--Dale Erwin

Dale,

I usually add 15% urea to hide glue for woodworking. Each rib is heated
with a heat gun before applying the glue. I glue one rib at a time then
clean the glue off. While I am getting the next rib ready Chris is
cleaning the glue off using pieces of paper towel dry at first then
finishing with a cheese cloth and hot water. Cleanup only takes a minute
and a half for each rib.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin