Glue cleanup on Ribs

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 13:44:08 EDT

     John
     Thanks for the feedback. I use to use the go-bar deck and enjoyed this
feature of access for cleanup.
    Do you slow the hot hide with any retarder? How do you clean it up? Paper
toweling putty knife or all of the above?
     As I said I can reach between the cauls for cleanup and have for a long
time but with tight rib spacing it's more difficult. I'll try your idea of
ribbing every other one in those cases.
   I'm glad to know your opinion about the moisture,absorption time and that
the effect on the panel swelling is not an just pressed a B board yesterday
in about an hour & 1/2 then came back later to skim off the glue. I found that
way time consumning. Probably 45 min.
   Regards--Dale Erwin

Dale,

I use a go bar deck, it is fast, simple and versatile. I clean up the
glue one rib at a time. My hands can reach between the ribs with the
bars on.  I use hot hide glue,I have never had a problem with using
water to clean it off. The added moisture takes several hours to begin
to effect the panel and even so it does not raise the moisture content
very much. By then the glue would be sufficiently set any way. With hot
hide glue you can safely remove the clamps in under one hour. It takes
two of us about 40 minutes to completly glue up on a good size
soundboard. The photos on my web sit show ribbing a S&S B.

Seems like you have a lot of extra work to solve this problem. Would it
be best in the long run to re-engineer your press so you can get you
hand in there to clean off the glue? Maybe you could glue every other
rib so there will be more room. This means gluing the ribs in two passes
but I see no problem with this except added time. Recently I needed to
do this while ribbing a Mason and Hamlin BB. The ribs in the treble were
close together so I took two passes to rib the treble section.

John Hartman RPT