String vibrations (was Re: Stuart)

aMeRy cHaY aquatred_chay@yahoo.com
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 13:47:19 -0700 (PDT)

These two things got me thinking:
If the string vibrations are "steered" in a more
horizontal direction...that would mean that the
vibrations travel horizontally as well..(parellel to
the ground) along the soundboard....and that would be
bad because any cracks in the soundboard in the future
will have a slightly greater effect than if the
vibrations travelled vertically across the soundboard?
Or do the vibrations carry themselves vertically
either way? I got confused with this one.Do correct
me.....

Amery

> >Consider:
> >
> >The Stuart bridge agraffes steer the string
excursion in the vertical
> >direction for better tone and longer sustain.
> >
> >The Wapin bridge modification steers the string
excursion in the
> >horizontal direction for better tone and longer
sustain.