of spline and catenary

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:43:48 -0500

>I've always been a sucker for education.  Took me a while to get around to
>it, this time.  Attached Excel spreadsheet compares center loaded beam,
>distributed loaded beam, catenary, and parabola.  (note, only the first
>half of each curve is shown, saved me some time and mental sweat)   It
>occurred to me, after viewing the graph, that the fixed end, distributed
>loaded beam illustrates the component of string vibration influenced by
>only the string's stiffness, and the catenary illustrates the component
>influenced only by the string's tension.  The two are quite different in
>shape.  An illustration of inharmonicity.  Is this what you were getting at?
>
>regards,
>
>Mike

Hi Mike,
I did something similar here, only without the clamped end and distributed
load examples. What I was wondering is what curve was described when you
bent a piece of uniform cross section wood. There doesn't seem to be a name
for it. The rebuilders who are cutting rib crown in a jig which clamps the
center of the rib, wedging the ends out to form the curve are obviously not
cutting a constant radius curve in their ribs. As far as I know, this is
neither good, nor bad. It just is. But what is this curve?  It's close to a
catenary, but flatter at the ends. As this rib is cut by the table saw,
these flatter curves at the end will tend to spring and bend more as wood
is cut away, changing the saw cut line and producing a crown more nearly
parabolic or catenary than was the case before the cut was taken. The
bending response of the rib changing as the cut is made also means that the
crown profile will be asymmetric because half of the crown will be cut from
the outside to the center, and half from the center out - unless the cut is
done in two passes, with a bulk removal pass, and a light final pass.

I'm just trying to figure out approximately what is actually being produced
here.

Ron N