Glue cleanup on Ribs

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 06:30:40 -0400

I regret I don't have any good techniques to offer, but I sure am =
interested in hearing what others have to say about this topic! I also =
have a few questions.

I like your approach of putting one coat of finish on the panel and ribs =
before glue-up. I should think that would go a long way in keeping =
things clean. You mentioned being unhappy with minor damage to the panel =
after cleaning up squeeze-out with a sharp chisel. Perhaps a sharp =
chisel is overkill in this situation? Maybe a scraper with a good =
right-angled corner - or even just a putty knife with a good =
right-angled corner - might scratch the finish a tad (but who cares at =
this point) but won't damage wood.

Big question: How do you get the ribs (curved, I assume?) snug enough to =
the panel so the finish doesn't get between the rib and panel - or do =
you not have the ribs attached to the panel when spraying on this first =
coat of finish? You state that you tape on the panel where the rib will =
be glued - how do you get the tape the exact width of the rib so that =
you don't end up with a quarter-inch of bare panel, thus defeating the =
effort to get a protective coat of finish on the panel at the rib edge? =
I can easily imagine attaching the rib and cutting tape off with an =
exacto-type knife - but I presume that will create its own damage......

Thanks for sharing.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20