Glue cleanup on Ribs

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 01:00:44 EDT

  For those of you who are pressing your own soundboards I'd like to compare
notes as to how you all go about cleaning up the glue squeeze at the glue
joints. I've done it two ways.
    I've  used a go- bar deck and currently a fire hose neumatic press.
Cleanup with a go-bar deck as you go is easy because of access but with a pneum.
press the 2 by 6s are in the way. It's possible just awkward and have done it
alot.
    I've typically taped off the rim and rib glue jointson the bottom of the
board, pinned the ribs to the board, then I tape over the rib ends before
spraying on a coat of shellac. I find that this makes glue cleanup easier and
resist moisture absorption I've usually have used cold hide glue and tried to
limit the glue squezze out. Then I wipe it up/off with damp/dry paper towells.
  I recently used tight bond 2 to glue up ribs on a S&S B.  I waited till the
glue squeeze beads jelled. After about 4 hr.s a sharp chisel was used to
cleanup the excess(which was like strings of rubber) but I was un happy with the
minor damage to the panel. A final sanding and one more coat of shellac is
applied before final finish but.....
    The upside to hide glue is ease of cleanup. The down side is using some
moisture in cleanup as  the board is ribbed which can be moderated by drying
the board a bit more before pressing.
   I like the idea and strength of the tight bond 2. It does not cleanup as
eaily with the towell method however.
    Ideas?
     Dale Erwin