of spline and catenary

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 04:57:04 -0500

> [Original Message]
> From: Ron Nossaman <RNossaman@cox.net>
> To: <spalding48@earthlink.net>; Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
> Date: 9/5/2003 11:14:38 AM
> Subject: RE: of spline and catenary
>

> >What's up?
> >
> >Mike
>
> Education.
>
> Ron N

Ron,

I've always been a sucker for education.  Took me a while to get around to
it, this time.  Attached Excel spreadsheet compares center loaded beam,
distributed loaded beam, catenary, and parabola.  (note, only the first
half of each curve is shown, saved me some time and mental sweat)   It
occurred to me, after viewing the graph, that the fixed end, distributed
loaded beam illustrates the component of string vibration influenced by
only the string's stiffness, and the catenary illustrates the component
influenced only by the string's tension.  The two are quite different in
shape.  An illustration of inharmonicity.  Is this what you were getting at?

regards,

Mike

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: CurveComparison.xls