Less than optimal performance...

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 08:48:06 EDT

In a message dated 19/09/03 1:00:37 AM, Piannaman@aol.com writes:

<< List,

I've been getting calls from people lately who have tuners already, but for
some reason or other, the customers are unsatisfied with the work their techs
have--or haven't--done. >>

Dave;
 The key to your question is that you say "the customers are unsatisfied with
thw work their techs have--or haven't done". You play no role in this
instance except being the tech they called to solve their perceived
problems....right? :-)

<<"The first was for a one year old Charles Walter console.  The lady
complained
that the piano sounded dead above the treble break, "not like the ones in the
store."  Her tuner had been out there 8 months before.  I went out to see
what was wrong, fearing major structural defects.  What I found was a piano
with
a sluggish and powerless action that was 20-30 cents flat.  Letoff was around
an inch from the string, there was quite a bit of lost motion. ">>

 The tech may or may not be to blame here...can't you see the store owner
saying...."just tune it where it is..tha's all just tune it" ????

<<"And yesterday I went out to tune a 1981 S and S B.  The owner complained
of a
treble that had gone really out of tune over the last couple of months.  She
contacted me because she was a friend of my next door neighbor.

Yes, the unisons and some of the octaves had gone far south as expected, but
what really bothered me was the fact that the soundboard and the action were
really dusty, and it was in a very poor state of regulation.  I asked her if
she'd ever considered having the piano regulated.  She said that her
technician
had never brought it up.  I gave her the PTG regulation handout, and
suggested
that she mention it to her regular guy.">>

 Why mention it to "her regular guy"?  Hasn't he already seen the piano? If
he is not providing sufficient service............ why not you?? You work for
the customer and if the customer isn't happy with what they have been receiving
then why not make her 'your' customer?

<<"I don't understand why well-established technicians would fail to address
these basic issues. ">>

 Dave "well established" does not in and of itself mean 'competent' or
'thorough'. In this case you don't really know whether the other tech has really
never mentioned the problems with the customers piano.......assuming he
hasn't........... why shouldn't you?

<<"I see this type of situation as a way to bring a piano closer to it's
optimum
performance level--and make a fair chunk of change in the process.  Why on
earth would anyone pass it up??? ">>

 A REALLY good question Dave...so 'why' are you?? :-)

My thoughts.
Jim Bryant (FL)

Dave Stahl