Halt Piano Work!

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 00:36:29 EDT

In a message dated 9/18/03 7:04:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Interesting question. My minimum is a spinet or console that is in fair
> regulation and functions reasonably well. I think that is pretty minimal and I
> know it leave much grey area. But it does exclude the old upright with 800,000
> miles on it with keys wobbling all over and action banging and clanking all
> around. But when the darn thing doesn't function, and it ain't going to
> function in this world, ya just gotta call it that way!
>
> I'd sure be interested in anything anyone could say that is more definitive.
> Again, we are talking about a beginner student here.

Terry,

Beginners need an instrument that performs in a way that is predictable, both
in feel and in sound.  The better the instrument, the more likely they are to
play it.  If something feels uneven, and sounds like broken glass, why would
they want to play?

I think we've all been in this situation before.  It's uncomfortable.  You
did the right thing.

Dave Stahl