OT - Re: Halt Piano Work!

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 07:47:01 -0400

Hi Clyde. I wasn't trying to suggest that I have credit card troubles I =
need to escape from. And to clarify, the lady told me that she would be =
happy to buy her son a new Yamaha tomorrow - she just didn't want to =
spend much money to find out if he would "stick to it". So money =
availability was not the issue. A willingness to supply a minimally =
serviceable piano was the issue.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Clyde Hollinger=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 7:09 AM
  Subject: OT - Re: Halt Piano Work!

  Terry,=20
  I understand that for a significant portion of today's "wealthy,"  =
what you see doesn't indicate how much money is in the bank.  Sometimes =
they are so over-extended, having bought much more than they really =
could afford, that the least little unexpected expense throws them into =
a crisis.=20

  I heard a financial advisor tell the story of trying to help a client =
with $600,000 of consumer debt.  Through an unexpected turn of events, =
she now had to get by on an income of only a million per year.  Could =
*you* be debt-free if you made so little money?!  On the other hand, =
neighbors of mine keep their bills paid living on social security of =
$900/month.=20

  Some people definitely live in poverty, but for the rest of us, it's =
not how much we make; it's learning and applying good money management.  =
I understand the average household continuously pays interest on =
$7,000-$9,000 of credit card debt.  That's about $1,000 of after-tax =
money down the tube, year after year after year....  Yes, I was there, =
for a brief time many years ago, but not anymore.  You can escape.=20

  If my writing this response will help one piano technician get out of =
the credit trap, it will have been worth my time.=20

  Regards,=20
  Clyde=20

  Farrell wrote:=20

    <snip>  She said "child is only 4 yo, surely we can just put $200 =
into it so he can plunk on it to see if he takes to piano. If he does =
well, I'll be happy to buy him a new piano." I told her piano teachers =
tell me that the best way to make sure a child fails is to provide him a =
poor-performing piano. But OK, we can tune it at pitch and try and free =
up the keys/action for $200. I should mention that all this is occurring =
in a brand new $500K house in a brand new subdivision with a brand new =
Lexus SUV in driveway and piano is in toy room with about $5K worth of =
toy trains, planes and automobiles scattered about........  <snip>