shipping pianos overseas

aMeRy cHaY aquatred_chay@yahoo.com
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:18:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Tom

I have travelled with a giant Kawai GS-80 I had at the time that was transported to Singapore back from Sydney very safely. Have the shipping company construct a crate for you, and have a professional piano moving company pack the whole thing up.

IMHO, your clients friend's piano probably fell apart because of the extreme conditions if shipped by sea freight, where the salt content in the air can be harmful to the piano, and not to mention the high humidity and heat in the cargo ship (if it wasn't the air conditioned, controlled environment kind - expensive).

Lots of cloth and cushion will sufficiently seal the piano in while shipping, and not to mention protecting it from the rough handling at the local port of call. Opt for an insurance program that will cover the piano to it's full amount.

My shop has also imported individual sets of Steinway grands from USA and europe for restoration purposes. To date there has been no such problem.

Good luck!

Amery

ps. did the piano fall apart immediately or in the following months to come? i don't think uprights are more likely to fall apart during shipping am i not wrong?