string creep

James Perkins jimperkins@mac.com
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:41:05 +0800

I would value your comments on tuning a small Yamaha grand with rusty
strings.

On some strings, it is possible to move the tuning lever a fair bit
with no consequent movement in pitch- until it suddenly jumps.
I presume the rust is preventing the string from moving through the
agraffe smoothly.

Would it be best to lower the tension and clean the offending strings?
Or can teflon powder /graphite do anything in these cases?

Do you find it better to approach pitch from above or below in this
situation- to aid tuning stability, as my efforts to set string and pin
are not succeeding with one or two strings?

I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks in advance.

James Perkins
42 Marlee Road