Experiment: string termination / duplex / Calin

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:31:40 -0700

Calin,
Looks neat! I have a question or two. Given the size of wire you were using,
did you have the tension up high enough for the string to be in it's
"singing range"? For those of us who do a lot of rebuilding, etc., it is
pretty much general knowledge that the string takes on a whole new persona
when it is in, approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of it's designed breaking strength.
We can hear this as we quickly bring up a string from virtually zero tension
to it's designed pitch. The tone will "blossom" just as you are getting into
the range of it's designed tension. Further, I suspect that the back/front
scales will do likewise.
So, if this monochord was not, (and I suspect it wasn't, due to the base it
was constructed on, which I doubt could sustain a tension in the area of
150-190 lbs.), at it's "singing range", then you may experience somewhat
different results, if it were. I'd be interested to know.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I