Ca pin block repair-broken tuning pin

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 19:14:57 -0400

List,

            Recent successful application of thin CA to a nondescript 5'
stencil grand-. During tuning a few months later a tuning pin broke at
the becket.

            I haven't had a tuning pin break on me since my Baldwin
dealer days in the 70's and it is a weird sensation when your lever
feels like silly putty right before the pin breaks.

            This pin was FROZEN. I tried the schaff tuning pin extractor
with no luck. It just chewed up the pin. Next I tried drilling into the
pin for an "Easyout" screw extractor and broke the drill inside the pin.
Nice!  Final and successful attempt was to drill a small hole in my pin
block support, locate the hole under the pin and drive the remaining
mess through the block with a drift punch and a 2lb sledge. I chased the
hole with a drill bit to clean it up, swabbed the hole w/CA and used a
3/0 tuning pin. The pin is now a bit jumpy, but tight and tunable

            The difference on this pin was that a bronze tuning pin
bushing had been used and had really locked things up when I applied the
CA.

That's my theory anyway unless the pin was ready to break for another
reason.

            Just another thing to look out for before the next candidate
comes my way.

            Tom Driscoll

            P.S. I felt like one of those forensic medical examiners on
TV pulling a slug out of a corpse!