Tormek the terminator

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:17:41 EDT

In a message dated 9/13/2003 2:48:05 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Subj: Re: Tormek the terminator
>  Date: 9/13/2003 2:48:05 AM Pacific Daylight Time
>  From: <A HREF="mailto:mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com">mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com</A>
>  To: <A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
>  Sent from the Internet
>
>                Terry

                           My experience is limited so far but the other day
I found it necessary to remove a piece of a treble cap (a do over) that I had
glued on with the Bolduc glue. The board and bridge were already glued in the
piano so I really wanted to preserve the flatness of the glue surface
integrity so I wouldn't need to try and resurface it in the piano.
        I cut  about 6 vertical cuts thru the cap with a small backsaw. Then
I chiseled down close to the glue surface. The thing is I used a Freud chisel
that had just been sharpened on the Tormek without really any polishing or
finer Jap. water stone sharpenoing and the thing allowed me to shave the thin
layer of remaining maple and glue right down to the glue joint sooo cleanly I
retained a very flat surface. Imagine what it will do with finer polishing.
     I also renotched the bridge with the same chisel later with no further
sharpening. So as to the fine grit department it does pretty well with just a
fine stone sharpening on the Tormek. I did  dress the wheel using the  the fine
side of the dressing stone before I was completely done which also helps as
well as lighter pressure. I am duly impressed so far!
                  Dale