New Center Pin Design

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:53:56 -0300

Hi Terry,
This Yamaha, probably has the plates with a screw to hold the pin in place.
These screws should be snugged up, to stop the pin from wandering.
It is not so much a loose pin that is causing the problem, it is the loose plate.
Sometimes the pins can just be pushed back in place with no damage, if you loosen the plate a bit more.
Then just tighten the screw. Problem solved without repining.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Farrell
  To: Pianotech
  Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2003 6:32 AM
  Subject: Re: New Center Pin Design

  That was actually the problem. When I first saw it I figured the guy chewed up the flange bushings with this innovation, but I repinned it with an 0.048" pin - so no enlargement there. The long unclipped end interferring with the hammer shank wanting to return to the rest postion is what caused the inoperable key. I could see that at least half of the hammer flange center pins were walking out of their proper postition on this piano - presumably I'll have a repinning and general action refurbishing job on the piano. This particular piano was the worst Yamaha I have ever tuned with respect to stray string noise (my experience is that Yamahas are usually a pleasure to tune) - more like tuning a Kimball console (false beats and unisons that would just not come clean - I hate that).

  Terry Farrell