New Center Pin Design

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 05:32:46 -0400

That was actually the problem. When I first saw it I figured the guy =
chewed up the flange bushings with this innovation, but I repinned it =
with an 0.048" pin - so no enlargement there. The long unclipped end =
interferring with the hammer shank wanting to return to the rest postion =
is what caused the inoperable key. I could see that at least half of the =
hammer flange center pins were walking out of their proper postition on =
this piano - presumably I'll have a repinning and general action =
refurbishing job on the piano. This particular piano was the worst =
Yamaha I have ever tuned with respect to stray string noise (my =
experience is that Yamahas are usually a pleasure to tune) - more like =
tuning a Kimball console (false beats and unisons that would just not =
come clean - I hate that).

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2003 4:10 AM
  Subject: Re: New Center Pin Design

  Terry=20
  you gotta love it... ... the fellow / gal was clever enough to screw =
the darned thing out and put it in again.... but not clever enough to =
snip off the leftover clip... wunerful...:)=20

  Farrell wrote:=20

    Great new center pin design. This (below) was recovered from a =
35-year old Yamaha console. One key didn't seem to be working....... I'm =
all for improvising, but this is ridiculous! Terry Farrell
  --=20
  Richard Brekne=20
  RPT, N.P.T.F.=20
  UiB, Bergen, Norway=20