Tormek the terminator

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:25:44 -0400

"...you can use a honing guide to maintain that angle..."

Yeah, but only if you leave the honing guide attached to the blade! =
After you've used the blade, it is impossible to put he blade back into =
the guide exactly how it was previously to just touch up on a fine =
stone. I always have to go back to a coarse stone and establish a new =
angle - however slightly different it may be. Unless, of course, I am =
missing the obvious - which would be no surprise.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Thomas Cole=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 12:12 PM
  Subject: Re: Tormek the terminator

  One of the reasons that a system like the Tormek machine works so well =
is that the blade being sharpened is held at a constant angle to the =
stone. If you are hand sharpening, then you can use a honing guide to =
maintain that angle, at least for chisels and pocket knives.=20

  Sharpening by hand, no matter how practiced we may be, is always a =
less successful method.

  Tom Cole

  Farrell wrote:

I wish I knew what I know now about the Tormek machine before I went and =
bought a set of man-made deluxe sharpening stones. The stones I got  =
http://www.shaptonstones.com/stones/Professional-Series.php  are awesome =
as far as stones go, but stones require skill to use - thus presenting a =
bottleneck for me. I know its probably not that hard to learn how to =
sharpen by hand, but hey, I've got a list of about 362 other =
piano-building things I need to practice before I spend time getting =
artsy-fartsy sharpening a plane blade.

I want one of these suckers. I could also sharpen my electric planer =
blades.

Maybe the next time my shop gets an infusion of cash.......

Terry Farrell
 =20
----- Original Message -----=20