Old kimball advice.

Thu, 11 Sep 2003 08:53:54 +0200

Louis Verkoelen wrote:

> Hi list.
> I went and tuned a couple of pianos at a regular church customer today.
> While I was there the secretary asked if I would ck out an old piano for
> them.
> Turns out to be a 9' W.W. Kimball either 1875 or 1891 (Pierce is a
> little fuzzy). Apparantly it had some rebuild work done before the piano
> was donated about 10 yrs ago. The hammers and felt look new. Regulation
> looks good. Strings and pins are in decent shape except it needs 2 new
> bass strings. 2 ivory tops are missing. Several cracks in the soundboard
> have been filled with epoxy.?  Still has good sustain. The case is a
> walnut finish in very good condition.

Filling cracks with epoxy  is usual enough. I woud be interested to hear
more exactly what kind of sustain times you are getting for different areas
of the piano tho., and otherwise how the sound is.

> They are thinking about selling the piano. What I am interested in: What
> might this piano be worth? Were these pianos any good? What would be the
> best way to sell something like this? (Not much call for concert grands
> in this neck of the woods.)
>
> Any feedback you could give is greatly appreciated.

A picture would help... unfortunatly... market price is very much dominated
by how well a piano looks rather than how well it performs.