Crowned Ribs on M&H?

Tue, 9 Sep 2003 22:44:43 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: September 09, 2003 10:16 PM
  Subject: Re: Crowned Ribs on M&H?

  In a message dated 9/9/2003 3:09:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time, =

    Subj: Crowned Ribs on M&H?=20
    Date: 9/9/2003 3:09:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    To: pianotech@ptg.org
    Sent from the Internet=20

             Hi
  John
            I was at Mason & Hamlin 3 years ago and recieved a tour from =
Kirk Burgett. I won't swear to it but I believe he spoke about the ribs =
having several different radii. I saw the same racks but didn't stop to =
look specifically at the ribs or the crown alleged. I haven't torn down =
any Mason yet with crowned ribs either but then again it seems I'm the =
only one who has seen a half dozen reverse crown executions in various =
makes. Odd thing are out so there maybe Del stumbled on the only two =
crowned rib experiments these companys ever produced.
      Dale

That would be a bit too much of a coincidence.=20

It's been a while and, in retrospect, the AA could have been called =
either way. I didn't measure anything and they could have simply been =
warped or bent into a mild curve over the ages. I didn't really think =
about them all that much, I just assumed they had originally been =
crowned and I could well have assumed wrong.=20

The BB ribs, however, were crowned.

We don't see all that many M&H pianos up here so, with the exception of =
the one BB, I'll take John's word for M&H ribs generally being flat.

Del