Money's no object (seiler 8'1"...how bout a Bluthner or Steingraeber?)

aMeRy cHaY aquatred_chay@yahoo.com
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 21:26:24 -0700 (PDT)

I've come across two Seiler 8'1" Concert Grands.....initially during the first year or two they were muffled to the point of frustration (no openness in it's tone either), then after a year or two it got horribly bright (from frustrated poundings from the pianists.....most complained about the same thing)
They have a very heavy touch - lots of friction (tight bushings) tiring to play (the Abels on the thing are of mammoth proportions) All this in spite of 4 technicians efforts to fix the piano up...it really was the only problematic piano that we serviced after all the Hamburg Cs, Ds, Bosendorfers and Yamahas over at our local concert hall.

A 7 foot Seiler I once performed on was very nice compared to the 8'1"

They ended up switching to a Schimmel 256 a few months ago which I recommend to everyone...it started out quite bright but after doing the necessary voicing after delivery.....it was pure heaven

Are we forgetting the marvelous rebuilt or possibly...brand new Bluthners? :)

Another one would be Steingraeber and Sohne..but I doubt it's availability in the USA....it's a smaller model 205, 6'8" i think...it was very very astounding....very rich singing tone while not bright and a sweet sounding bass with an overall scaling that never overpowers......much better than a few Bosendorfers I've tried of similar size and environment.....cheaper as well. It's the kind of sound that puts a warm smile on your face and makes you feel all fuzzy inside :)

With so many viable options, I guess it comes down to trying the piano to see if you like it on the spot (beware of acoustic conditions of course)

Amery
Singapore

Greg,Try the Seiler 8'1". Actually they are all quite nice.

Rick Ucci / Ucci Piano