Unbelieveable String

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 19:07:01 -0600

MessageAlan, Effectivly you have two strings each trying to ring but =
muting each other out resulting in no sound.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 6:47 PM
  Subject: Unbelieveable String

  New client, small rural church. Late 40's Hallet, Davis =
conet/spinsole. Someone had already done an elbowectomy and the flanges =
were all wood, thank goodness. Not tuned in 4-5 years. Why now? Oh, they =
have a professional player coming in for a concert.=20

  Oh, boy.

  With a little extra work and a Tunelab pitch raise, this piano sounds =
surprisingly not-so-bad. Surprisingly clean, too, with no wild strings =
until about G6! 22 single bass strings and the tenor break was at G3 =
with two wound bichords for G#3 and A3 on the tenor bridge, but it =
really isn't too bad and is even fairly smooth in the bridge transition. =
In fact, it sounds better than a lot of late model Baldwins and =
Hamiltons I've tuned in similar environments!

  Anyway, heres the mystery: Bass bichord at B2. One of the strings is =
completely, totally, absolutely dead. Not a thuddy-duddy, not tubby, not =
muffled--just completely, flat-line dead. It makes no sound except the =
mechanical thump (as opposed to the vegetarian thump) of the hammer. The =
string might as well be made of lead. Absolutely weird. It is NOT =
touching a damper or any other object. I have no idea where it is with =
regard to pitch so I just pulled it up to physically feel about as tight =
as its unison-mate. When the note is struck, it just sounds like one =
string being struck; there is no out-of-tune sound or "mute bleed =
through" thud or anything--as though it were heavily and firmly muted =
with a rag stuffed in for good measure.

  I examined the string from end to end and did find one anomoly: About =
a third of the way from hitch to pin, there is a place where about 1/2" =
of the winding is missing--just core wire showing. Okay, that might =
really screw up the harmonics of the thing but shouldn't it make SOME =
sort of noise?

  Totally weird.

  Alan R. Barnard
  Salem, MO