Unbelieveable String

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 19:47:01 -0500

New client, small rural church. Late 40's Hallet, Davis conet/spinsole.
Someone had already done an elbowectomy and the flanges were all wood,
thank goodness. Not tuned in 4-5 years. Why now? Oh, they have a
professional player coming in for a concert.

Oh, boy.

With a little extra work and a Tunelab pitch raise, this piano sounds
surprisingly not-so-bad. Surprisingly clean, too, with no wild strings
until about G6! 22 single bass strings and the tenor break was at G3
with two wound bichords for G#3 and A3 on the tenor bridge, but it
really isn't too bad and is even fairly smooth in the bridge transition.
In fact, it sounds better than a lot of late model Baldwins and
Hamiltons I've tuned in similar environments!

Anyway, heres the mystery: Bass bichord at B2. One of the strings is
completely, totally, absolutely dead. Not a thuddy-duddy, not tubby, not
muffled--just completely, flat-line dead. It makes no sound except the
mechanical thump (as opposed to the vegetarian thump) of the hammer. The
string might as well be made of lead. Absolutely weird. It is NOT
touching a damper or any other object. I have no idea where it is with
regard to pitch so I just pulled it up to physically feel about as tight
as its unison-mate. When the note is struck, it just sounds like one
string being struck; there is no out-of-tune sound or "mute bleed
through" thud or anything--as though it were heavily and firmly muted
with a rag stuffed in for good measure.

I examined the string from end to end and did find one anomoly: About a
third of the way from hitch to pin, there is a place where about 1/2" of
the winding is missing--just core wire showing. Okay, that might really
screw up the harmonics of the thing but shouldn't it make SOME sort of
noise?

Totally weird.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO