Modern small production pianos

R Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 00:30:08 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Overs Pianos" <sec@overspianos.com.au>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 6:07 PM
Subject: Re: Steinway M

>I understand that some
> will criticise my piano ..... that I'd reduced the friction too much.
>...... said my piano was "just noise".

ummmm...... He didn't say the whole piano was noise, only the bass was "just
noise".
I didn't agree with his statement.  In fact I thought quite the opposite.  I
had just listened to your piano from 40 feet away in the big hall and was
impressed with how it projected.  I was comming up to say that when  I
overheard "this bass is just noise" comment. I could not help but wonder if
his ears were shot or he was biased, and then thought to ask him what bass
in all of the world class pianos in that hall sounded good to him.  But it
was my first convention so I waited to see how others might respond to his
comments as there was a nice little crowd around your piano that continued
to admire your piano.

The "reduced friction too much" opinion carries a little more weight.   I
wanted to make sure I saw your piano in Reno because of the wip design.  I
am no player but enough to be a technician (and that is debatible ;)
but thought that if it saves in production and regulation, it does have an
advantage. I am not the player-tech to say, "your wippen makes this a better
action."  However I know the person of the "friction was reduced too much",
and whether I agree or disagree here is the rub--only a few technicians are
on the playing level he is, so if your piano is intended for accomplished
classical players I would not dismiss his observations but rather get as
many as possible from players on that level and sort them all out.   I think
a lot of classical players would be interested in your instruments, and if
they are, then so are all the rest.

Another interesting development is the small production (less than 100 per
year) aspect of piano manufacturing.  Charles Walter might be considered the
first, but you are certainly a pioneer.  Mason and Hamlin is up and comming.
In fact it might said they are back and better than ever.  But thanks to
modern design inovations applied to pianos from people like you and Charles
(with a little help from Jim Coleman I heard), piano production on the small
scale might become a viable, and sustainable venture in the making of top
quality musical instruments.  Good opportunities for piano technicians like
to travel.

Richard Moody