Steinway M

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 09:07:19 +1000

At 9:30 PM -0700 7/9/03, Donald Mannino wrote:

>Regarding Ron Overs' remarks,
>
>There are many reasons to not criticize the design when speaking
>with the customer.  All you have to do is turn it around and think -
>what if they said that about my piano?

That's not a good enough reason for me Don. I understand that some
will criticise my piano and that's OK. For example, you criticised my
action in Reno claiming that I'd reduced the friction too much. Did
you hear me say anything in defense of my action? Certainly not. I
can live with folks such as yourself being unenthusiastic about my
piano. Wally Brooks said my piano was "just noise". That's life. If
I've learned nothing more, it will be not to offer you or Wally one
of my instruments. I'm afraid you are going to have to settle for a
Kawai.

While it is somewhat uncomfortable being on the receiving end of
criticism, I am inclined to think that we need to both receive it and
reflect upon it, in order to progress. I am always interested in
hearing any criticisms folks might have regarding my pianos. But I
don't automatically commit to change based on a couple of isolated
reports. I think, as a manufacturer, if a great majority are
enthusiastic about your instrument, its about as much as you can hope
for. Besides, expert marketing coupled with reasonably competent
manufacturing & design will always out-sell reasonably competent
marketing coupled with expert manufacturing & design. The choice
depends on what one wants to achieve in this life.

>I am sorry to say that there is no such thing as a piano design
>which cannot be criticized, yours included Mr. Overs.

I am the first to agree, but at least I remain committed to a
programme of ongoing reflection and improvement.

   The very divergent opinions expressed on this list show this.  The
aspects of individualism we [some] admire in designs from people like
Overs, or Stuart, or Del Fandrich are points of criticism for others.
And it isn't only the know-nothing sales people selling against the
innovative design - it is often well intentioned but perhaps
misguided piano technicians who speak out against a design or method
of construction, because it doesn't suit their individual tastes. [or
because they might have voiced an opinion before they gave the
Shock-of-the-New a fair appraisal]

Agreed, but if folks aren't allowed to form an opinion without being
criticised for having it, our industry stands little change of moving
forward.

>It is best to let the buyer decide if the individual traits of a
>particular piano are good or bad.

How can this be considered an appropriate MO for a professional piano
technician conducting a consultancy? So we just shut our eyes and
ears and let the buyer tumble headlong into buying anything as long
as it is in good order? I don't think so. Furthermore Don, as a
representative of Kawai, I can't imagine that you would let a client
'make the mistake' of purchasing an inferior competitor's instrument
without uttering a sentence or three about design. I just find that
difficult to believe. Since the word 'consult' means to "seek
information or advice from a person or book" (Oxford Concise
dictionary), I can't understand how a credible consultant should
comment on condition only and not on conceptual, design or
performance matters.

>   In the case of a technician evaluating a piano for an owner, the
>desire on the part of the owner is usually to know if this
>particular instrument is OK or not.

I suspect that buyers vary in this regard. Some like to know only
about the condition of an instrument, while others are passionately
interested in design and performance aspects. Might we agree that we
should first listen to the client before we decide how we are going
to approach each individual?

>   Pontificating on design disadvantages usually just upsets the
>owner, and in the end often hurts the technician's reputation.  I am
>not simply preaching here - my position on this was formed through
>some very unpleasant personal experiences long before I worked for
>any piano companies.

Sometimes perhaps, but if the 'pontification' is truthful and not
just spin as your word choice suggests, a few do prefer the truth -
whatever that is.

Ron O.

--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY