Electric Shank Bender

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Mon, 08 Sep 2003 13:13:05 -0700

At 03:02 PM 9/8/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Never have used these.  Butr it seems they would burn the shank.  Do you
>put water on the shank.
>
>What is the technique for using these pliers or the ones you heat up with
>a torch
>
>Or how do the rest of you bend warped hammer shanks (w/o the bending pliers)
>
>Thanks
>
>Dick Day
>Marshall MI

You can use either the electric bending pliers or an alcohol lamp (passed
rapidly along the shank, don't let it sit still) with success if you are
careful. If you bend by hand with the alcohol lamp, you need to hold the
part in place until it cools a little. The electric benders work better if
you keep a sample shank handy to test the heat, and if you have a rheostat
which can adjust how much current they are getting. If the wood turns brown
and starts to smoke, the pliers are too hot (natch.) If the sample shank
doesn't want to bend, they are not hot enough.

Both systems work better on newer shanks, which are more limber and less
brittle and dried out.

I have had good success with the pliers on brittle old shanks by using
alcohol first. Dampen a small foam (throw-away) brush with a few drops of
vodka -- it takes very little, and more would run down and ruin the butt
leather -- then swab the shank quickly with it. It soaks right in. The
alcohol evaporates very quickly so that the bending pliers don't set it
alight. Then when you put on the pliers (tested first for the right amount
of heat) you get a gentle hiss as the water from the vodka turns to steam.
At this point the shank will bend without breaking -- well, I've never had
one break. If you take it too far, dampen again with vodka (the alcohol
helps the water soak in deep) and bend them back.

It's probably a good idea to practice on some scrap parts first.

Susan