Steinway M

Sun, 7 Sep 2003 09:59:26 -0700

I think the question really revolves around what kind of opinion you are
being asked for.  If the customer wants a general assessment of the
Steinway M as a particular model with it's plusses and minuses, then I
think it's fair game to give an opinion on the overall design of that piano
versus, say, a piano of similar size with a different scale design, hammer
type, action execution, soundboard construction, etc..  If the customer is
asking you to approve of their choice of a piano, then it's a slightly
different story.  If they like the piano and want you to check out the
piano for problems or flaws to affirm their decision, then offering your
opinion on design is probably beyond the scope of what you are being asked
and you should tread carefully.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: Overs Pianos
To: Pianotech
Sent: 9/8/2003 4:35:30 AM
Subject: Re: Steinway M

At 12:11 PM -0400 6/9/03, Tom Driscoll wrote:
List,

            I have a client seeking my opinion concerning purchase of a 5
year old Steinway M at a university sale @$39,000. I have not seen this
particular piano but have reservations about the tonal production of the M.
Those designers among us have commented on scaling flaws and of course the
compression crowned soundboards, but my question is what specifically are
the areas of design where the shortcomings exist.

            I felt like I was raining on a parade with my comments about
the M, and I'd like to be more specific. I've encouraged my client toward a
models L or B but budget may not allow them to consider those models.

            Thanks for your input.

            Tom DriscollRPT