Steinway M

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sat, 06 Sep 2003 18:46:41 -0400

Tom Driscoll wrote:
> List,
>
>             I have a client seeking my opinion concerning purchase of a
> 5 year old Steinway M at a university sale @$39,000. I have not seen
> this particular piano but have reservations about the tonal production
> of the M. Those designers among us have commented on scaling flaws and
> of course the compression crowned soundboards, but my question is what
> specifically are the areas of design where the shortcomings exist.
>
>             I felt like I was raining on a parade with my comments about
> the M, and Id like to be more specific. Ive encouraged my client
> toward a models L or B but budget may not allow them to consider those
> models.

Tom,

It sounds like you think there is something wrong with the design of the
M. I couldn't disagree more strongly. I have rebuilt at least 20 Ms and
have found the basic design to be very solid and reliable. While any
design can be improved the M is one of the best small grands available
to musicians. Of course I have seen many disappointing Ms but it is
failings in execution and craftsmanship that are to blame not design.

I am right now finishing a rebuilding of a model M. It has a new
soundboard and a complete action rebuild. I just finished doing the
first tuning after installing the dampers. With no voicing at all the
registers are well balanced with no detectable breaks from wound strings
to plain wire or across the break from tenor bridge to bass bridge.
There is also no tonal break from the agraffs to the decapo area. The
"killer octave" is as clear and singing as anyone would wish. Good
sustain and very even throughout. This piano even unvoiced out performs
any other small grand that I am aware of.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979