tunelab question - high treble tuning

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 6 Sep 2003 11:22:10 -0500

One nice--but discouraging--benefit that Tunelab gives us is that
spectrum analysis. It is very helpful in tuning the high treble and
really let's you know what's going on--dissecting the noise, as it were.
Some notes do show almost equal double spikes. You can mute the string
behind the bridge as an experiment, but you will mostly find that the
string is just noisy.

The discouraging part is that you get to see visual evidence of the
inadequacies, poor design, and sometimes just plain junk that we have to
deal with in our business.

So ...

As much as I love Tunelab, I must say that this is one of those
evidences that you MUST train your ears to hear the subtleties of tuning
in all areas of the piano. Your ear MUST be the final judge of the best
sound because you will be making compromise decisions that the computer
just can't make for you. It seems to me that the best sound for a truly
bi-tone(?) high treble string is often found in bracketing the
difference.

If you isolate the offending string and tune one of the others in the
unison you might, hopefully, find a better-behaving string. Tune that
one to pitch, then tune Mr. Wild aurally for the best unison sound.

Hope it helps.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO