Of Death & Dulcimers

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 21:14:16 -0500

New client called today (referral, thank you very much, Sara). Says they
bought a big old Chickering for their resort lodge at an auction (erk.)
that looks really nice but is waaaaaay out of tune (uh, huh. Double
erk.) and got left outside for a while
(ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRK!!!!!!!!!!!!!). This call ought to be
interesting. I'm practicing my Veterinarian's dulcimer tones, even as I
write. "I'm so sorry Madam, but the warranty has expired and so has this
poor old moldy instrument. The kindest thing to do, really, is to gently
put it to sleep. After all, it's had a good long innings ... and we
really don't want it to suffer any more, now, do we? Do you happen to
own a chain saw?"

Speaking of dulcimer tones, she also said she has a beautiful dulcimer
she'd like me to take a look at. Okay, assuming it is more than the
15-note, made-in-China version you can buy in the gift shop at the
Science Center, I'm wondering if you put any stretch in these things or
just tune them flat curve, pure tones.

Maybe my Tunelab would give me a curve after sampling several notes. But
would it be right? And would I set octaves for 4:2, 2:1, or what? Or
should I just go by ear and try to get a good C octave with a 4th and
5th that fit well, then tune and balance by ear? What think ye?

Experience? Ideas? Heckles?

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

---