earplugs

DIANE HOFSTETTER dianepianotuner@msn.com
Fri, 05 Sep 2003 09:33:26 -0800

Hi Dave,

Noise Reduction Rating is a flawed system of knowing about earplugs.  In
March, 2003 NIOSH, the government agency dealing with the problem, started
hearings to revamp the ratings.

When they were tested under the old system, they were given an NRR of 20
dB., not as much as foam earplugs.  But what are you trying to do?   If you
are trying to protect your hearing while doing shopwork, wear foam earplugs.
  If you are trying to protect your hearing while tuning, the Proplugs are
excellent because they give sufficient protection and still allow you to
hear what you have to hear to do a quality tuning.

They are especially suitable for music because the attenuation is relatively
flat, about as flat as any of the other filters currently available.

The question of hearing protection is a vast subject and after four years of
study am just starting to know how to research it.  The OSHA regulations are
only suitable for industry liability protection, they deal with continuous
broadband noise and politically correct regulations.

I have to be offline for awhile now,  in a couple of hours I am driving
North where I attend Portland State University as a grad student in
audiology.

Diane Hofstetter