New Sohmer pianos(made by Samick)

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 00:26:49 EDT

Am I nuts?  These pianos actually seem to be pretty good.

I have tuned a Sohmer grand piano, which I believe is 6 ' 1", and a Sohmer
console.  I don't know if the scale designs are the same ones used in the
American made Sohmer pianos.  I have not thoroughly examined them, but the factory
prep on these is pretty meticulous.  My first impression is that these
Korean-made instruments seem quite a bit better than their Chinese-made brethren.  In
fact, they seem like the nicest Korean manufactured pianos I've seen.  They
were easier to tune than practically any new piano I've tuned recently.  The
hammers are not made of concrete.  The actions are well-regulated and function
quite the way they should.

Mr. Jolly, have you been involved in this endeavor?  If so, good job.

Anybody else had any experience with these pianos?

Dave Stahl